Sunday, 17 July 2011

Natural Eye Makeup Remover and Facial Cleanser

 Thanks to the Italian Style for featuring this blog post on their website

A few years ago I started to experiment with home-made natural beauty products: cleansers, lotions, creams, exfoliators, masks and scents. By trial and error I discovered which ingredients were nourishing the skin and which didn't work. My kitchen looked like a laboratory and my neighbour asked me jokingly whether she needed to insure her flat against a possible explosion. 

Sour cream as a facial cleanser
Nowadays, one of my favourite facial cleansers is sour cream. I also use natural yogurt, milk and cream. All remove makeup effectively and are very gentle on the skin. Take a generous amount and massage onto your face. Rinse with lukewarm water and repeat the procedure. When I use milk or yogurt, I apply the thinner liquid with cotton wool and then rinse with water. 

Milk is good for the skin
Milk products are rich in vitamins A, B12 and D, protein and magnesium. Milk fat is good for the skin and does not dry it. Cleopatra reportedly loved milk baths. If you spend a lot of your time in the sun or live in a big polluted city, sour cream or yogurt protects the face from unhealthy conditions. I recommend full fat certified organic products. Goat's and lamb's milk and yogurt are equally good.

Eye makeup remover
The gentlest eye makeup remover is oil. My favourite oils are extra virgin olive oil and sesame oil. Use cotton wool to remove eye makeup and then rinse the face with water. After that cleanse the rest of the face with sour cream or any other milk product. The skin will feel smooth like a baby's bottom. Certified organic oil has no harsh chemicals, preservatives or alcohol in it, all of which can be found in cheap and expensive commercial beauty products.
The cherry on the top for me is jojoba oil, with which I moisturise my face. Jojoba oil is light and nourishing and suitable for every face.

No comments: